Glenmuir EmailGVLE

History of Glenmuir High School

On Monday, September 15, 1958, Glenmuir High School welcomed its first batch of fifty-five (55) students. His Excellency, Sir Kenneth Blackburne, Governor of Jamaica, officially declared the school opened, two weeks later.

Known then as Glenmuir Co-educational High, the school was part of an extensive educational programme launched that year by the then Lord Bishop of Jamaica, the late Rt. Rev. Percival W. Gibson.

History records that Custos George W. Muirhead offered his property in Mocho, Clarendon, as a possible site for the school. Eventually the location of his May Pen home, situated on 25 acres of land, was made available at a cost of £13, 500. Robert DeRoux was entrusted with the task of making sure that ‘Muir’ was forever immortalized in the name of the school.

This house provided classrooms, and the three staff members along with headmaster, Dr. Sydney Howard Scott, established the academic goal of preparing students for the General Certificate of Education at both levels.

In 1959, the school was recognized as a Government Grant-aided one. With a generous grant from the Anglican Church to the tune of £20,000, and a further £10,000 from a society in England, and the tireless efforts of successive Boards of Governors, classrooms, science laboratories, home economic centre and woodwork shop were erected.

The decade of the sixties saw the establishment of the Parents Teachers’ Association. Several illustrious educators also joined the Glenmuir family, including School Chaplain and Religious Instructor, Rev. Eric W. A. Dean in 1965.

By 1974, there were 29 teachers, including the Vice Principal, Mrs. D.V. Brown. Four years later, she left for the Principal post at Bishop Gibson, another Anglican high school and was succeeded at Glenmuir by Mrs. Zetilda Morgan.

When the foundation Principal retired after 25 years and handed over the baton to past student, Clement Radcliffe, the student population stood at 1091. With the assistance of Vice Principals, Marjorie Henry, Valsie Sommerville, Cynthia Bridge and Beryl Clarke, the high standards and ideals of the institution were kept intact. In July 2008, the school’s population stood at 1459 students, 79 teachers, with Vice Principals, Mrs. Dahlia Bartley and Mrs. Karen Radcliffe. Of note too, is the unwavering contribution of past students who have made the continued development of their alma mater their life long ambition. For example there are currently thirty-four (34) past students on the teaching staff.

They, with board members, teaching, administrative and ancillary staff, parents, past students and well wishers, have pooled their energy and talents to ensure that Glenmuir will withstand the challenges to be faced in the next fifty years.